Rabbit with cider, petit pois & pak choi
A dish suitable for the cold winter nights, where a heart warming combination of Rabbit with cider, petit pois & pak choi warms the core.
- 2 rabbits, jointed into 4-6 pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 bay leaves, 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 large knobs of butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 660ml / 24fl oz Westons Scrumpy Cloudy Cider
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 400g / 14oz frozen petit pois
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 50ml / 2oz cider vinegar
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 pak choi, chopped into strips
- 450g / 1lb chopped smoked bacon
Preheat oven to 190°c / 375°f / Gas Mk 5.
- Heat a large knob of butter in the base of a large lidded ovenproof casserole dish.
- Season the rabbit with salt and fry in the butter until browned, adding more butter if needed.
- Add 2 tbsps water to the casserole dish.
- Add the olive oil, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery and bacon and stir fry quickly for a few minutes.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme and fry over a low heat for around 20 minutes, pouring in enough cider to cover.
- Add the peas and cover with lid. Place the casserole dish in oven and cook for an hour.
- Remove, stir in mustard and cider vinegar. Add more cider to cover if needed and return to the oven for another hour.
- Remove from oven, remove lid and place back on hob. Add the pak choi and another large knob of butter.
- As soon as it has wilted, remove from heat and serve.
Download the Rabbit with Cider, Petit Pois & Pak hoi Recipe Sheet
Back to Recipes